Monday, November 15, 2010

Nice one, God!

Had to go to the Social Security Administration office today, to file the final "change of name" form. I thought I would be more excited about it, but really - that is one depressing office. I am glad SS exists, but man, those are some hard luck cases you see in there. I actually recognized someone I knew, and discovered that the SS waiting area is one of those areas where you don't say hello. (joining "gynocologist" "colonoscopy" and "therapist office").

I waited for my number to be called, and approached the desk. The woman spoke about four words to me, took my form, and did not look up again as she looked over my form and entered whatever magic words were necessary to erase the past 20 years of Elliott-ness and restore me to my former, single self. "Okay. Here you go. 24 to 48 hours for processing." No smile, no "good luck" - nothing.

On the heels of that pleasant altercation, I left feeling a little less jaunty than when I arrived. But I smiled as a warmish breeze blew, warm for November anyway, and I took a deep breath and kept going.

And then. Oh, and then. I got in the car, and the VERY first song that came on was "The Cave" by Mumford and Sons.

"And I'll find strength in pain
And I will change my ways
I'll know my name as it's called again."

Nice one God. And thanks for the messages, the almost constant messages, that I am going to come out of this just fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment